I made some spoon oil - following this excellent recipe here - I've been using it for a while now and it's really effective. I started with spoons and bowls, then I went on with cutting boards, countertops and even on some very old chairs in need of some tlc. The beeswax I got directly from the beekeeper, and it smells lovely.
I am in the process or making some order among my weaving stuff. - still have boxes of books and CDs in the corridor - waiting for the bookshelf to be assembled.... I was browsing through my samples - this was the Colour & Weave project and I used the Cathedral in my town as inspiration.
Temperature is dropping - my mum got out a very special scarf I wove for her some time ago. It's made with handspun vicuna, and it's even softer than cashmere. The yarn is from Argentina - a lady here used to have a shop selling speciality yarns - and the colour is incredible!
The blue tapestry is a needlework piece from this lady. She left some unfinished canvasses so I just filled in the empty squares and hung it.
Do you like big apartment plants? I do. And since reading this post a while ago I decided I needed one too (not that our home lacks in any kind of plants - thanks to the hubby!) So I received one as a birthday gift! It's young but there's room for it to grow.
Nadia's loom is now operational (we spent quite a few hours setting it up, with texsolv cords and full countermarch tie-up, following Dot's precious advice). Then, since I had my camera with me, I couldn't resist taking some pics around her house - I really like her style! The throw was woven with wool leftovers, then assembled with old silk ties.
Here are my skeins after a little more than a month of sun (more or less!) in the jars. Two developed mould - and a not so nice odour - but after a wash and a rinse in lukewarm water with a bit of detergent the skeins were ok. The colour is subtly variegated, I think it would be nice for a scarf.
Of course the cotton towel didn't pick up as much dye as the wool/silk blend. No mordant added. This experiment was fun, and apart from my impatience (I checked the jars every other day...) I want to try again with some other plant!